Monday, September 8, 2008

On Where the Grass is Greener

I've been thinking a lot lately - of pulling up stakes and moving.

Yeah, I'm bored with my life again, and I've been feeling the urge to really shake things up - and for a change, I don't mean martinis!

Firstly, I've been toying with the idea of selling the house and "going condo" - apparently now would be a good time to do it - but would need a convincing argument before I'd commit to the idea, regardless of what the CBC tells me...

A condo, as far as I'm concerned, is a novel idea. It's like an apartment, but you own it, can redecorate and remodel to an extent, and your neighbours in the next unit aren't "welfare cases" (as a friend of mine so eloquently put it). Add to the pot the fact I absolutely loathe yardwork, and a condo sounds pretty good.

Of course, taking the "condo fees" into consideration, it would probably be a tad cheaper if I kept my house, fixed it up, and hired a groundskeeper... or got married, had children, and paid them an allowance to do the yardwork... but I digress.

(Incidentally, are there any attractive, employed, drug-free single women out there? Age is not a concern, provided you're between 30 and 40-ish...)

My upcoming trip to Toronto also planted a few seeds in my already fertile mind... while I'm wandering aimlessly through T.O., why not check the job market? Apply to a few places now, and do interviews while I'm in town? Sure, it'd work, provided any such job would pay enough that I could enjoy my current standard of living (if not better) - yet somehow, I don't see that happening.

Besides, I've never been to Toronto, and can't be sure I'd want to live there never having visited first... So, this evening, I consulted my erstwhile sounding board - exgirlfriend Gail, who has been living in T.O. for nearly a year.

"Knowing you, CJ", she said, "You'll love it for about a year, maybe two or three, before getting sick of it."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I ain't telling," she teased, "You'll see when you get here in a few weeks".

"Well," I thought to myself, "Maybe this ain't such a good idea..."

Besides, as bored as I am with work, I really do like my job and couldn't see myself leaving. The company has been good to me for the past (nearly) eight years, and I really can't complain.

Hell, Winnipeg's been good to me, too, and even if I left, I'd probably hear it calling me back within a year, maybe two or three...

Now if only our Mayor and Premier hadn't opted for Bus Rapid Transit...